Follow us:   Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

Summit Update – 9/30/09

Here is what we received at 3am (mst) from Bob More:

“Lost all contact. Nate and I had to leave last night to get plane. Left Chris and film crew in crater. Pretty straightforward from there. I assume he summited this morning and is on his way down. He is unreal.”

[---UPDATE---]

Nate and I are now off the mountain. Communication is tough. We left Chris with Dave and about 8 porters in the crater over 18,000 feet. It is a pretty straight shot from there and we assume he got there today and is on his way down.

But what a trip. Great team. Dave’s rig and the planning were perfect. Film crew was way beyond the call of duty. And Chris is absolutely amazing. For anyone that has done that route, anyone we spoke with on the way down consistently said it was the hardest thing they ever did. Then they saw Chris. To quote one British guy…“Hardest man I have ever seen. Makes John Wayne look like a pansy.”

No doubt the most incredible single minded effort I will ever see in my life. And through it all, terrible suffering, discomfort, dirt and dust everywhere, very little sleep and unbelievable output of energy, Chris never lost his sense of humor or optimism. Like no one else I have ever seen.

On the 20 mile hike out today, Nate and I were even more impressed at the obstacles he overcame. Chris has many fans, not the least of which were the porters who loved working with him and the team.

There are a myriad stories here, but at the core, it is all Chris showing us anything is possible.

Bob More
Dr. Nate Bryan

11 comments

11 Comments so far

1. v. Pablo Nyarady September 30th, 2009 4:55 pm

You guys are nothing short of amazing… I could not be more proud of all of you! – I can’t wait to hear about it and then see the footage… Thank you for keeping us informed, I loved the text messages, they were fantastic… Pablo

2. Jake and Alec More September 30th, 2009 5:13 pm

We can’t WAIT to hear everything, Chris! You are our hero.

[Dad, can't wait to see you soon! :) ]

3. Bob Meserve September 30th, 2009 5:32 pm

Given Chris’ drive I am certain he has made the summit!!!

We are all very proud of the effort by Chris and the entire team !!!

4. Donna Volpitta September 30th, 2009 5:44 pm

I am in absolute awe. Cannot stop tearing up when I read the updates. I am so proud of all of you. Kids are following and they are also amazed. What you have done will make an impact on the world. Thank you!

5. Andreas F. Schneider September 30th, 2009 6:31 pm

Chris, where ever you are now, our thoughts are with you. After reading the latest blog updates and comments I can´t wait to read YOU AND THE TEAM MADE IT !! Andreas

6. Mary Anderson September 30th, 2009 7:12 pm

CHRIS!!! I’ve been following along and I absolutely love watching the news clips on TV. You’re so articulate and thoughtful in your comments and your climb has been completely awesome to watch. NICE JOB!!!

7. Lynanne Nyarady September 30th, 2009 7:48 pm

Chris,
    You have proven again that you “follow no one”. It’s all yours.
    When the time comes, enjoy the trip down, you have made your mark!
    Team Nyarady

8. Marcello September 30th, 2009 8:02 pm

Dude, I always know you, is a amazing person, I’m very luck to have a friend like you,
    The world will be a better place if everyone had the same respect for the others and “mother nature, like you have.
    So, after all, that means I’m going to kiss your ass BEECH.
    Marcello Duarte.
    By do way, TEQUILA IS ON ME

9. Dell Fuller September 30th, 2009 8:47 pm

Chris – Laine and I are speechless. You have delivered to the universe as the universe has delivered you to us. I can’t describe the feeling in my heart. This is truly a lifetime “high” moment for all of us. Be safe my friend.

10. amir & liness October 1st, 2009 6:45 am

way to go.
    un believable.

we had a lot of faith in you

amir & liness (marangu hotel)

11. John Taylor October 2nd, 2009 1:39 pm

Chris,

Congratulations on your incredible accomplishment. Your belief in yourself and your willingness to dream BIG is an inspiration to us all. I knew you would do it – you are the most amazing guy I know.

National Ability Center Ability Plus Disabled Sports USA International Paralympic Committee Wasatch Adaptive Sports Athletes For Hope